Winegarner, the industry affairs director for the Texas Cattle Feeders Association, led the March 3 primary race with 39 percent of the vote.
Jackson, who has served as a White House physician under the past three administrations, trailed behind at 20 percent.
While Winegarner has raised more with about $780,000 compared to Jackson’s $410,000, their current cash on hand as of the end of March was less at about $160,000 to $130,000, respectively.
In recent days, both candidates have announced some major new announcements.
Most notably, President Donald Trump weighed in on the race, giving Jackson his full endorsement on May 22. Trump previously encouraged voters to support Jackson in the primary election.
Jackson also received an endorsement from the fiscally conservative Club for Growth PAC, which had previously supported Chris Ekstrom in the race, who received 15 percent in the primary.
Rep. Will Hurd’s (R-TX-23) Future Leaders Fund is reportedly planning to launch negative advertising targeting Jackson.
On Thursday, May 28, Winegarner announced an endorsement from Rep. Lance Gooden (R-TX-05).
Winegarner previously received other endorsements from current congressional members in the Texas delegation, including Thornberry and Rep. Mike Conaway (R-TX-11).
Below are lists of publicly available endorsements that each candidate has received.
Endorsements for Ronny Jackson:
- President Donald Trump
- Donald Trump Jr.
- Former Governor and Secretary of Energy Rick Perry
- Former NRCC Chairman Congressman Steve Stivers (R-OH)
- Rep. Brad Wenstrup (R-OH)
- Rep. Don Bacon (R-NE)
- Former Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA)
- Former Chairman of House Veterans’ Affairs Committee Jeff Miller (R-FL)
- Chris Ekstrom
- Vance Snider II, a former GOP candidate for the district who received 3.5 percent of the vote in the primary
- Texas Commissioner of Agriculture Sid Miller
- Nocona Mayor Robert Fenoglio
- Runaway Bay Mayor Barry Herman White
- Former Amarillo Mayor Jerry Hodge
- Sherman County Sheriff Ted Allen
- Hall County Sheriff Tom Heck
- Donley County Commissioner Dan Sawyer
- Ochiltree County Commissioner JW DeWitt
- Club for Growth PAC
- Texas Right to Life
- Texas Home School Coalition
- Young Conservatives of Texas
- Wichita Falls Police Officers Association
- SEAL PAC
- The Guardian Fund
- Defend Our National PAC
- National Defense PAC
- Combat Veterans for Congress
Endorsements for Josh Winegarner:
- Rep. Mac Thornberry (R-TX-13)
- Rep. Mike Conaway (R-TX-11)
- Rep. Lance Gooden (R-TX-05)
- Former U.S. Sen. Phil Gramm
- State Sen. Charles Perry (R-Lubbock)
- Former state Sen. Bob Duncan
- Former state Rep. David Swinford
- State Republican Executive Committeeman Tom Roller
- Former Texas Republican Party Chairman Tom Mechler
- Plains Cotton Growers Association Executive Committee Member Barry Evans
- Texas Grain Sorghum Producers Executive Director Wayne Cleveland
- Amarillo Matters
- Texas Alliance for Life
- Texans for Sensible Immigration Policy
- Texas Farm Bureau Friends of Agriculture Fund
- American Quarter Horse Association PAC
- BEEF-PAC of Texas Cattle Feeders Association
- National Cattlemen & Beef Association PAC
- National Sorghum Producers Association PAC
- National Turkey Federation PAC
- Texas Association of Dairymen
- Texas Corn PAC
- Texas Pork Producers Association
- Texas Wheat Producers Association PAC
Disclosure: Unlike almost every other media outlet, The Texan is not beholden to any special interests, does not apply for any type of state or federal funding, and relies exclusively on its readers for financial support. If you’d like to become one of the people we’re financially accountable to, click here to subscribe.
Daniel Friend is the Marketing and Media Manager for The Texan. After graduating with a double-major in Political Science and Humanities, he wrote for The Texan as a reporter through June 2022. In his spare time, you're likely to find him working on The Testimony of Calvin Lewis, an Abolition of Man-inspired novel and theatrical podcast.