This week on The Texan’s “Weekly Roundup,” the team discusses:
- Former Gov. Rick Perry’s exclusive interview with The Texan on school choice
- A House committee hearing testimony on a bill to legalize sports betting and some casinos
- The House passing a bill to eliminate sales taxes on feminine hygiene products
- The divide between House Democrats over a bill to remove “sexually explicit” books from public school libraries
- Former President Trump criticizing his rival Ron DeSantis at his Waco rally
- The movement of bills on transgender athletes in women’s sports and child gender modification
- U.S. Senators from Texas Ted Cruz and John Cornyn working on designating a new interstate highway
- The ongoing case of Army Sgt. Daniel Perry who shot and killed an Austin protester in 2020
- The Austin Police Department’s new departures this month amid its existing attrition
- The Texas DPS sending troopers to alleviate the stress of Austin’s police staffing crisis
- A Texas man facing over a century in prison and a $4 million fine for COVID-19 loan fraud
- Carroll ISD voting to leave the Texas Association of School Boards
Got questions for the reporting team? Email [email protected] — they just might be answered on a future podcast.
Listen to the “Weekly Roundup” wherever you get your podcasts. If you like what you hear, subscribe and leave us a review.
Disclosure: Unlike almost every other media outlet, The Texan is not beholden to any special interests, does not apply for any type of state or federal funding, and relies exclusively on its readers for financial support. If you’d like to become one of the people we’re financially accountable to, click here to subscribe.
Daniel Friend is the Marketing and Media Manager for The Texan. After graduating with a double-major in Political Science and Humanities, he wrote for The Texan as a reporter through June 2022. In his spare time, you're likely to find him working on The Testimony of Calvin Lewis, an Abolition of Man-inspired novel and theatrical podcast.