This week on The Texan’s “Weekly Roundup,” the team discusses:
- Congressman Chip Roy endorsing Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis
- A Texas lawmaker filing a bill to increase penalties for those who commit assault resulting in paralysis
- The Senate voting to restore the felony offense for illegal voting
- A Senate school choice plan that grants thousands of dollars per student
- The House proposing to create a “Border Protection Unit” and invoke the constitutional “invasion” clause
- The Texas Legislature considering a lightning rod local preemption bill
- Five election reform bills receiving hearings in the Senate State Affairs Committee
- Texas Rep. Nate Schatzline proposing an age verification requirement for websites hosting explicit material
- The House and Senate’s fight over appraisals and exemptions in their property tax relief discussions
- A lawmaker filing a bill to allow minors in attendance at drag shows to sue the performers
- President Biden issuing an executive order to curb gun violence, promoting “red flag” laws and universal background checks
- The Texas State Police warning residents to avoid traveling to Mexico after two Americans were murdered there last week
Got questions for the reporting team? Email [email protected] — they just might be answered on a future podcast.
Listen to the “Weekly Roundup” wherever you get your podcasts. If you like what you hear, subscribe and leave us a review.
Disclosure: Unlike almost every other media outlet, The Texan is not beholden to any special interests, does not apply for any type of state or federal funding, and relies exclusively on its readers for financial support. If you’d like to become one of the people we’re financially accountable to, click here to subscribe.
Daniel Friend is the Marketing and Media Manager for The Texan. After graduating with a double-major in Political Science and Humanities, he wrote for The Texan as a reporter through June 2022. In his spare time, you're likely to find him working on The Testimony of Calvin Lewis, an Abolition of Man-inspired novel and theatrical podcast.