This week on The Texan’s “Weekly Roundup,” the team discusses:
- Speaker Dade Phelan releasing the committee assignments for the Texas House
- The new House Public Education committee chair school choice activists are optimistic about
- Illegal immigration reaching nearly 160,000 encounters in December 2022
- A state senator arrested in Austin on charges of drunk driving
- One lawmaker’s proposal to hold a statewide vote on legalizing sports betting and casinos
- A bill filed to preclude males from competing in collegiate women’s athletics
- Dallas County lawmakers’ legislative priorities for the 88th regular session
- A pair of bills to raise the age of consent and ban child gender modification
- The fight in the Legislature over ESG and the meaning of ‘fiduciary responsibility’
- A series of bills filed to improve school security and provide mass shooter training for law enforcement
- The ice storm that knocked out power for tens of thousands in Austin
- Ken Paxton’s prepared lawsuit over the endangered species status of the Lesser Prairie Chicken
- El Paso’s new policies to impede criminal investigations into abortion
Got questions for the reporting team? Email [email protected] — they just might be answered on a future podcast.
Listen to the “Weekly Roundup” wherever you get your podcasts. If you like what you hear, subscribe and leave us a review.
Disclosure: Unlike almost every other media outlet, The Texan is not beholden to any special interests, does not apply for any type of state or federal funding, and relies exclusively on its readers for financial support. If you’d like to become one of the people we’re financially accountable to, click here to subscribe.
Daniel Friend is the Marketing and Media Manager for The Texan. After graduating with a double-major in Political Science and Humanities, he wrote for The Texan as a reporter through June 2022. In his spare time, you're likely to find him working on The Testimony of Calvin Lewis, an Abolition of Man-inspired novel and theatrical podcast.